It’s that time of year again. We’re just starting to get the hint of autumn in the air here in Minnesota, as the heat and humidity make way for drier air and cool nights. The faculty and staff are stepping up their pace in preparing for the new year, which is just around the corner.
And the folks at Beloit College have released the newest version of the Mindset List.
I must admit I don’t find this list as jarring as I did the first few incarnations, possibly because the list has done its job in reminding me that the incoming freshmen have a different view on the world. There are still a few items that I find a bit startling:
- Few in the class know how to write in cursive.
- Fergie is a pop singer, not a princess.
- They never twisted the coiled handset wire aimlessly around their wrists while chatting on the phone.
- DNA fingerprinting and maps of the human genome have always existed.
- Unless they found one in their grandparents’ closet, they have never seen a carousel of Kodachrome slides.
- Czechoslovakia has never existed.
- They have never worried about a Russian missile strike on the U.S.
Which items resonate with you?