The folks at Beloit College have released the newest version of the Mindset List for the class of 2013. (Frankly, the number 2013 is enough to make me shake my head.)
This list is compiled in an effort to remind faculty of the mindset their incoming freshman have. I’ve found this list entertaining in the past, but it has a new pertinence for me now that I’m an academic librarian, expecting her first group of freshmen in a few weeks.
Here are the top ten:
- For these students, Martha Graham, Pan American Airways, Michael Landon, Dr. Seuss, Miles Davis, The Dallas Times Herald, Gene Roddenberry, and Freddie Mercury have always been dead.
- Dan Rostenkowski, Jack Kevorkian, and Mike Tyson have always been felons.
- The Green Giant has always been Shrek, not the big guy picking vegetables.
- They have never used a card catalog to find a book.
- Margaret Thatcher has always been a former prime minister.
- Salsa has always outsold ketchup.
- Earvin “Magic” Johnson has always been HIV-positive.
- Tattoos have always been very chic and highly visible.
- They have been preparing for the arrival of HDTV all their lives.
- Rap music has always been main stream.