It’s that time of year again. Beloit College has released the Mindset List for the class of 2012. The college started doing this a number of years ago in an effort to help faculty and staff understand where their students were coming from.
Each August for the past 11 years, Beloit College in Beloit, Wis., has released the Beloit College Mindset List. It provides a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students entering college. It is the creation of Beloit’s Keefer Professor of the Humanities Tom McBride and Public Affairs Director Ron Nief. The List is shared with faculty and with thousands who request it each year as the school year begins, as a reminder of the rapidly changing frame of reference for this new generation.
As always, some of the items on the list are more startling than others. For instance:
- GPS satellite navigation systems have always been available.
- Girls in head scarves have always been part of the school fashion scene.
- Clarence Thomas has always sat on the Supreme Court.
- IBM has never made typewriters.
- Lenin’s name has never been on a major city in Russia.
- Caller ID has always been available on phones.
And the saddest, at least for this Packer fan:
- The Green Bay Packers (almost) always had the same starting quarterback.