The evaluation of electronic products and services and make appropriate recommendations for selection.
Electronic Resource Management – an automated tool for managing subscriptions to electronic content: e-journals, A&I databases, full-text databases.
E-Journal Holdings data – knowledge base of the specific journals and coverage held in each of the aggregated database products.
ERM background: interest in an automation module for managing electronic resources has arisen because of the limitations of the serials and acquisition modules to deal with all of the parameters related to the licenses.
- Counting Online Usage of NeTworked Electronic Resources
- Guidelines for the way that publishers of electronics subscriptions provide statistics for a subscribing institution
- Counter guidelines in effect since January 2003
- Project Counter web site
- Standards Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative
- A mechanism for automatically harvesting COUNTER statistics from publishers
- A computer-to-computer protocol
- Implemented as a Web service
- Relies on XML version of COUNTER reports
- Generally implemented within an ERM
SUSHI background: creation of the standard was facilitated by NISO. It’s a fast-track initiative that has gained rapid adoption by vendors. Adopted in about January 2006.
Question: How can the use of COUNTER statistics and SUSHI improve the development of collections of electronic resources?